Pennsylvania Breweries History: Duquesne Brewery
The Duquesne Brewery clock was the largest single face clock in the
world when it was installed in 1933. The 60-foot-by-60-foot clock face is
about twice the size of London's famous "Big Ben". The old Brew House was
built in 1899.
The Duquesne Brewery buildings now houses the Brew House Association,
which provides housing and creative space for young Pittsburgh artists and
a gallery where artists show their work.
In 1950 Duquesne Brewery was a regional brewing company that made
"Duke" brand beer and was one of the 10 largest breweries in the
country. Duquesne Brewery of Pittsburgh also did business as the Chartiers
Valley Brewery in Carnegie, PA. Like many regional breweries, Duquesne's
fortunes went flat in the 1970s as its products were crowded out by national
brands like Budweiser. The brewery shut down and, in what must have been
the ultimate insult to Duquesne Brewing's displaced workers, the old Duke
clock was replaced with an ad for Stroh's.